Thursday 1 March 2012

Evaluation

Brief
In response to the brief did I complete what what was proposed/asked for.

I produced a "one minute long trailer"
I feel as if I have shot & edited footage "which adds visual accompaniment to the words being spoken'
I feel that although I did not use a great deal of text I did feature text elements to highlight the highlight of the speech.
I "finished my trailer by crit"
I "logged my progress"
I felt that i had researched enough about the speech

Target audience
Although there was not any specific target audience, using demographics for radio 4 and targeting my trailer at the majority of the audience by using objects/clips that this age group could refer to: Old radio/toy etc. The trailer also does not have any explicit content.

Type: The Font that I went for in the end was: Hiragino Kaku Gothic Std



I found that this font fitted with the trailer, earlier fonts were a little to grungy and didn't fit in with the styling of the clips and edit's. However this font works and fits far better, its more civilised and also has an impacting appeal to it.

Imagery: The imagery I chose was of based on the idea of old things such as toys, radios and telephones etc. This concept worked really well as it suited the audience and has given my some great images to work with in both shooting and editing. Also some other clips that I didn't think would work at all, worked out to be very successful: The lynx shower gel in a glass bottle to the mushroom with a magnifying glass. My favourite sequence had to be of the laytex gloves, I spent so long trying out different lighting different movements and speeds and it actually turned out to be that the ones i shot where i had myself do it slowly worked so well when sped up.
Another clip that worked well was actually one that came up while I was trying to shoot something different: The glass paper weight with bubbles in, when i was originally shooting it all i wanted was a close up of the bubbles spinning, where i had placed it the light was landing on it and creating this spectacular shadow. 

Enjoyed
I enjoyed most of this project, the best was probably editing the video I had shot I just couldn't weight to get it into FCPX, I originally shot the falling polaroids first and had a few ways in which to do it.
1: To throw a bunch of pre printed polaroids onto the camera from a height
2: To throw polaroids separately onto the camera and then edit it later
3: Use polaroids with a green square on it in which later I would display images of my choice on, this way I could really control every element. In the end I decided to go with option two, this way I could cut out each individual polaroid from the video and have them land/spin where and how I wanted.

Time keeping/Another chance
I started of the project really well I had a clear idea on what I wanted to do, i had shot 75% of my film in the first week as well as editing it to a good degree, from there it went down hill I had just over a week in which I had failed to do anything, after that i picked up and started to finish shooting and editing my trailer. I made this trailer without any though of text throughout, I found myself thinking that placing text over any of the clips was a crime it just didn't do it justice, whenever I tried to place text over it i just found myself being lost in the text and not taking any notice at the video content, this was not what i wanted and was pointed out in the crit. I decided that the text worked best when I had it a low opacity over the end of the trailer, this way I kept the exciting footage editing and noticeable. In the end the text was more an afterthought that I wish I had addressed earlier in the project.

The week in where i didn't get anything done I would have perhaps liked to have got the rest of the video shot and edited and started upon a new trailer.

Personal view / Does it work
I think that my trailer works well, the clips fit in a logical order, the audio works well and the clips are edited well with it. I find the trailer exciting and engaging the imagery and audio really fit the speech.

Crit
For crit I submitted a piece that i was not happy with, the text elements that i had used just didn't work and as pointed it distracted you from the video content, following some ideas I started with the text again, i used texts that wasn't so prominent but still gave the impact I wanted, i just had the "Ask not what..." quote come up word by word as he said it.

Justification





00:00:00 - 00:01:18 - Radio
I chose to have a static/bad tv effect in as when turning on old televisions you may have had a wavy and static screen. I chose this clip to start as it makes it sound like it is from a radio, it also would have been heard on the radio before.  I also made it to that the radio starts closer and it zooms out through the entire length of the clip, this adds a bit of movement and makes it more interesting weather that having just a still image. At the end it uses a static transition to change back and fourth between the radio and paperweight. For the audio at the beginning i also key framed a radio audio effect to make it sound as if it were coming from a radio.

00:01:18 - 00:02:06 - Paper Weight
The paperweight uses as before and static/bad tv transition to fade from one the radio to this and back again, this clip lands perfectly on world, the paperweight kind of resembles this and looks like stars. I also have the paperweight spinning to again add movement and make it more interesting.


00:02:06 - 00:03:07 - Radio
Again back to radio from a cut that shows the paperweight on the word "world"


00:03:07 - 00:04:22 - Phone
To transition to the old phone I have again used a static transition that fits in with the previous clips, For the actual clip i have used numerous angles to which I have cut to the audio, this way you see multiple angles which make it look like your moving around the scene. 


00:04:22 - 00:05:10 - Paper Weight Shadow
I have used a straight cut from the phone to the paperweight rather than static here because i did not want to have much more static as this would become boring and repetitive. This clip fits in a gap where there is no speech which also like back to the image of the paperweight.


00:05:10 - 00:06:07 - Sky
Another straight cut, this one acts more as a filler for my video in which there is no speech over it, Having the clouds sped up makes it more visually appealing as most things look a lot better in slow/fast motion.


00:06:07 - 00:07:16 - Matches
The matches clip starts on "have been granted the role" and last the whole duration, I have also changed the colours and added a filter as the original un-edited footage looks really bad because of its bland look and dull colours. as before i have sped this clip up, seeing the flames flicker and burn really quick is quite an unusual clip and looks very abstract along with the filters.


00:07:16 - 00:09:16 - Polaroids
This was my main shot that I wanted to include at the end of my trailer, however it was a little to long so cutting the clip and then adding multiple speed ramps (which match the audio) I got this back and fourth effect, this meant that the small section lasted longer and it looked far more interesting to use near the beginning and have it finish near the end, this gave it a sense of time.


00:09:16 - 00:12:09 - Paper Weight
I was also at this point in the project getting into a habit of repeating objects with different angles and filters, again it makes the trailer flow. For this clip I used speed ramps and key framed zooming into the clip, the original footage looked so bad as i literally just grabbed the camera and tried zooming in and out and panning and camera with no thought at all, it actually worked out really well.


00:12:09 - 00:14:03 - Piano
The piano was a late idea as i did not make the connection that I had a piano backing track and an actual piano, it was only when I came to edit to the audio that I thought it would be so good to get some piano keys moving, this lead me inside the piano which was for more textured and interesting comported to the exterior. I have also used a quick zooming in effect as well as changing some of the highlights. 


00:14:03 - 00:15:05 - Gloves
By far my shots that I used the multiple times within the video "Do not shrink" was the first time i used it as theses laytex gloves kind of shrink around the hands and are stretchy so fitted in with what he was saying, i used quite a speed ramp here as the word "shrink" for me sounds as if it starts of fast and slows down, so I edited my clip in the same way. With the glove clips i used a variety of filters to get the effect that i wanted, i more or less used the same ones that i had experimented with earlier. The vignette makes the clip have dark curved edges and looks as if it is in a tv which is further emphasised by the bad tv effect.


00:15:05 - 00:16:08 - Bike
"Responsibility" is where Iplaced the bike gears, using the same speed ramps and zooming in and out as i made before it made it more interesting by showing quick cut angles. I feel that the word "Responsibility" fitted in with the bike gears, as the gears have a specific responsibility to perform its task. I played around with the contrast quite a bit on this clip to really make it stand out and look bold against the white by using bright reds and deep blacks.


00:16:08 - 00:19:08 - Gloves
As before but this time i added roll so that it looked as if the picture was fading, i also timed it with the way in which the hand moved so as the hand grasped the lines and roll effect matched up.


00:19:08 - 00:20:16 - Curtain
The curtain had some unique shadows and lines in that I really liked, however the original was a little plain so using different amounts of contrast and angles i made the clip seem more exciting. I used this clip to bridge the gap between and to fit the audio for "that any of" which then I changed clips on "us".


00:20:16 - 00:20:21 - Eyes
I used a very short shot that last for 5 frames and is used over the word "us" this video just glances up makes the word seem more impacting because of its short and abrupt clip.


00:20:21 - 00:21:17 - Bullets
For the part with the bullets there is no speech so I took a clip of bullet belts moving around and sped the up quite fast and added a few filters over the top. This was accidental but the sharp movements of the bullets is almost in time with the piano tune which makes it look as if it is knocking against something along with the audio.


00:21:17 - 00:22:11 - Beard
This clip here is used to introduce the series of following clips that feature in the "would exchange places with any other generation" section, I wanted to slowly reveal different parts of the face without reaving the whole thing. I used a bleach filter on the face clips and changed the colours so that all the clips matched.


00:22:11 - 00:23:05 - Phone
Again I have repeated the clip but this time i have made it look as if the camera zooms into the receiver on "places" as you use the phone to call different places.


00:23:05 - 00:23:21 - Bullet
This is the clip of the bullet in the mouth which then drops later, "with any other...people" is where I have placed the clip, this makes me think of his assassination as i wonder if he would have exchanged places or generations if given the choice.


00: 23:21 - 00:24:11 - Mushroom
This was used as a quick snap shot of the longer clip that I would use later


00:24:11 - 00:24:20 - Curtain
The curtain here creates a really nice transition from curtain to face, I made the curtain glow brightly at the point where face comes into play.


00:24:20 - 00:25:04 - Face
With this sequence i started it off out of focus to which it came in focus by the end of the clip, it was another way to almost hide and not to give a way to much.


00:25:04 - 00:25:15 - Curtain
Quick flashing curtain scene


00:25:15 - 00:26:00 - Eyes
Close up of the eyes on "any other" which then fades to the face on "generation"


00:26:00 - 00:27:00 - Face
Revealed on generation to show people and there generation.


00:27:00- 00:27:19 - Bullet mouth drop
Where the bullet drop i have had my dad stand very still and move very slowly to drop the bullet, it makes him look as if he were on trial. The piano tune works here very well as it goes to a slow paced, sad tune.


00:27:19 - 00:28:20 - Gloves
Another glove scene, this time its on the word "energetic", so I have sped up the clip to make it seem "energetic"


00:28:20 - 00:30:02 - Bullet Hit
Finishes the scene of my dad, the final bullet drops, the bullet works well here because of the word faith, the bullet implies that the person who supposedly shot JFK had faith that the bullet would kill him and drive a new/different future.


00:30:02 - 00:31:22 - Robot
The word "devotion" works well with the old tin robot, because its old in in good condition it shows that it was cared for and loved. I decided to bleach out the colours and really bring out the white so that it really stands out, looks new and shows that it has been cared for as it is in a clean area.


00:31:22 - 00:32:14 - Snow branch
Luckily it snowed over winter so I managed to get some shots of different things that i would never had been able to get before, i hadn't planned for snow so when it came I rushed out and shot what I could, as i hadn't planned some shots didn't works at all and working in an all white area usually the whites came out grey so i had to alter them afterwards. Anyway for this clip i stood under a tree and shoot it so that all snow landed on the lenses, second time around i wanted much more snow so i used some acrylic sheeting i had and used that so that i didn't damage the camera.
I like this shot because it gives the impression that it is snowing and it looks quite heavy, this was handy because the speech was going to be called of by the weather.


00:31:14 - 00:34:23 - Glass ball
Again shot in the snow with no planning, at first i thought the clip was useless it didn't look good, i had stuff in the background which didn't look good, but using some quick zooming in and out effects it actually does look to bad. I timed it so that the ball fell on "endeavour" quite sharply.


00:34:23 - 00:38:10 - Mushroom
I was really surprised how well the mushroom and magnifying glass worked, i had this great blue streak across it swell that i later found out to be a reflection of the sky through a velux window, I made it go in and out of focus , when it was in focus you could really pick up on the texture and detail.


00:38:10 - 00:43:19- Liquid
The liquid falling was made by having lynx shower gel being dropped into a glass bottle, it made some great patterns but as i had a long thin bottle my overall shot wasn't great because i just couldn't get close enough so i had just a third of the screen with a bottle on it, using FCP i just zoomed into a section, it wasn't as sharp but it worked. I used this clip here as it was the part in the speech where he slowly get slower.


00:43:19 - 00:46:13 - Polaroids falling
I used the polaroids as a way of showing who said the the speech in a new and imaginative way, it creates  a link between his life and death, when the polaroids land/stop and start burning it starts to symbolise that his life was cut short and sharp.


00:46:13 - 00:56:01 - Burning polaroid


00:05:10 - 01:01:14 - Inaugural text
Just to show what the speech is about, who said it and when.

No comments:

Post a Comment